[nsp] Blocking KAZAA and Co. on PIX

Serguei Bezverkhi sbezverkhi at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 10:26:17 EDT 2004

Hi,

I was searching Cisco web site for suggestions on how to block KAZAA  and
other file sharing applications on PIX. The document that I found was saying
that it can only be implemented on a router using NBAR.

I would greatly appreciate if somebody who faced this problem, shared a
direction they took to filter these applications.

As far as I can see I have two options it is either to bring a router with a
firewall feature set and using NBAR to fight these applications,  or use
very restrictive access list from inside to make sure only allowed traffic
is passing from inside to outside.

Any idea or suggestions or different approaches are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Serguei