[nsp] OC3 interfaces for 7xxx vs. other OC12 transport options

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 13:08:18 EDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
>
> > yes i think the PA-MC-STM-1 is capable of only muxing down into E1s
>
> According to the docs it'll do down to individual ds0 (64kbit/s) channels.
>
> I was under the impression that this product was specifically aimed at the
> large provider markets (major national telcos) and it sounds very strange
> that it wouldn't support (one of) the largest markets in the world for
> this, the US market?

ds0s are not part of sdh tho, the docs say it can go down to E1s and do
channelized E1s, this implies to me a kind of 2 stage muxing is occuring, the
first bit being SDH, the second being G704

the muxing of E1s into STM1 and T1s into OC3 isnt the same tho .. so I can see
why the hardware only does one variety, probably to save costs but its odd there
isnt a T1/SONET version..

Steve