[nsp] ONS15454 vs 12000 for the OC-3 demuxing

Neil J. McRae neil at COLT.NET
Wed Jul 14 04:08:46 EDT 2004

> Right now I'm leaning toward the 12000 mainly because it's a
> real router whereas the ONS 15454 seems like more of an ADM
> (albeit a fancy one that's not limited to a given transport)
> that's going to leave me still needing router interfaces to
> handle circuits I break down with it.

Correct the 454 is a mux.

> CISCO 12000 SERIES 2-PORT CHANNELIZED OC-3/STM-1 (DS1/E1)
> LINE CARD
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/modules/ps2710
> /ps189/index.html

Can I suggest a couple of things:

1: Please look at the 7609 for this application also, it has
much more edge type features than the GSR.
2: Give Cisco/reseller a call and get them to send an Systems
Engineer down for a day to really understand what you are
trying to do.

Regards,
Neil.