[nsp] Suggestions on tracking down bandwidth offenders

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jul 14 14:15:35 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Tony Mucker wrote:

> I've got a bandwidth problem (who doesn't).  Something has been
> saturating my poor little T1 for 24 hours straight now.  For those of
> you curious, here's what it looks like:
>
> http://www .ghideon.com/router-day.png

Assuming you have a managed switch(es), can't you just look at the traffic
stats for each computer's switch port?

Which direction is which in the image?  i.e. which direction on your T1 is
saturated now?  It looks like there was unusual traffic in the opposite
direction just before things got really bad.  Perhaps one of your systems
has become a warez site or is running PTP file sharing.