[nsp] bgp - aggregates and specific routes

joshua sahala jejs at sahala.org
Wed Jul 14 14:50:31 EDT 2004

On (14/07/04 13:34), Roger wrote:

> Yes - the 192.168.16.0/24 falls within the 192.168.0.0/19 range.  This
> was mentioned in the previous post.  The /24 is downstream from us and
> they're getting their own ASN.
>
> In real life we have a /19 delgated to us by ARIN.

 ok - that makes sense

> >how are you learning the /24?  if you are learning it from your
> >customer, then when the link goes down, you will stop learning that
> >prefix and will subsequently stop advertising it.  if you are
> >learning it via some other means, then i'd need to know how that is
> >to answer this.
> >

> We are learning the /24 via eBGP.  Now if the eBGP session between us
> and said downstream customer(16.0/24) goes down connectivity to the
> 16.0/24 will still occur because it will be lumped in w/ our
> aggregate...  We need to prevent this when the eBGP session goes down.

 prevent what?  you will no longer learn the /24, so you will no
 longer advertise the /24, only the /19.

> >/24 is more specific than /19, so for addresses in that /24, traffic
> >will go towards your customers other providers.  all other traffic
> >for the /19 will come to you
> >
> I disagree.  While yes the /24 is more specific we are only advertising
> our aggregate /19 to upstream providers.  If the eBGP link between us
> and our downstream customer, using our numbers, goes down  connectivity
> will appear to normal because the /19 is still shown as up.

 you can disagree if you like, but routing works on the most specific
 prefix - so /24 is more specific than /19, which is more specific
 than /16, ad nauseum

> I'm looking for a route-map statement or some conditional advertisement
> statement.

 you don't need anything conditional, so long as they are advertising
 the /24 to another provider, the traffic for the addresses in that
 block WILL go to them.  why the desire to complicate things?

> No - the problem is we WANT to be a transit AS for our downstream
> customer 16.0/24 only if a eBGP link between us and them is in working
> order.  I'll continue to look.

 if they are advertising the /24 to you, and you are in turn
 advertising that /24 to your providers, you will.  if they stop
 advertising the /24, you will stop advertising the /24

hth

/joshua
fools.
	- Douglas Adams -