[nsp] capacity of 7613

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Thu Jul 15 08:57:28 EDT 2004

Hi Anouk,

yes, the 6503/7603 is the same as the 6506/6509/7606/7609;
that is, there are two 'channels' to each 'crossbar'.

the documentation for the 7603 that you're referring to is likely referring
to the fact that the switch has both a 32gbit/s 'bus' (for "classic"
linecards, or linecards that are not crossbar-enabled) as well as crossbar
connectivity.
this is mostly historical, and exists because of the fact that you could
take an original "classic" layer2-only linecard from ~5 years ago, put it
into a system equipped with a Sup720 and gain all the additional
MPLS/ipv4/ipv6/Ethernet/layer3 functionality.

of course, with a Sup720 in a 7603, you will have most of the 'channels' of
the crossbar going nowhere -- so it won't be "720gbit/s" of capacity -- but
then again, its unlikely you could make use of that capacity within 2
linecard slots either. :-)

cheers,

lincoln.