AW: [nsp] police and rate-limit command

Stefan Schultheis (home) stefan-cisco-nsp at schultheis.priv.at
Thu Jul 15 10:26:05 EDT 2004

Hi there,

There is a nice document by Cisco concerning your question:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/policevsshape.html

Basically _policing_ cuts off and drops packets that exceed the configured
bandwidth while _shaping_ tries to queue exceeding packets.

Note: policing works for inbound and outbound traffic while shaping only
works for outbound traffic (there is no queue for incoming traffic that's
suitable for shaping!).

Cheers,
Stefan