[nsp] Stub Area design question

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Sun Jul 18 15:53:22 EDT 2004

I have a desgin question about IGP routing protocols in a stub area.

Picture a generic service provider network.  Several access routers to which
customers are attached.  All of them dual homed up to 2 distribution layer/
metro core routers.  All of the access routers are in the same ospf area.
Each city (usually comprised of 2 Metro POPs) is 1 OSPF area.

The area in which the access routers are is an nssa totally stub area.  I just
want to inject a default route from each of the distribution layer routers
down to the access routers.  I want to advertise the C and S routes UP from
the access routers, I redist static subnets, redist conn subnets and we're
good to go.

The only thing about this design that bothers me is that since all of the
access routers are in the same area, they all get each other's intra area
routes.  Access router A can only ever reach access router B through the
distribution layer anyway.  Each access router does not care what blocks are
anchored on other access routers, they just need the default route(s).

Should each access router be in it's own area?  Would having a crapload of
ospf areas on the distribution layer routers knock some limit over?

Could I write a bunch of messy route maps to handle this?

Am I missing something really dumb and obvious?

Thanks,
Dan.