[nsp] Stub Area design question

Josh Fleishman flyman2 at corp.earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 22:21:46 EDT 2004

If I'm understanding this correctly, there are a few options here:

1)  Keep it as is and just scale the memory in your access routers and
distribution routers so they can handle all of your Type 7 LSA's.

2)  You could just trunk all of your customer connections up to your
Distribution routers and do all of your redistribution (connected and/or
static) there, along with your BGP.  This can be done within each pop and
you can play with the metrics for some traffic engineering.  Essentially
your 3550's become purely layer2 boxes.

Personally I like #2 since it eases your administration by reducing the size
of your routing domain and it pleases the boss since it allows you to use
pure layer2 boxes at your access layer and therefore save some cash. There's
always a trade off, and here it's your reliance on trunking which
fortunately Cisco does well.

 However, #1 is fine especially if your LSDB remains a reasonable size.
Adding addition areas is more than likely going to be overkill.  You want to
maintain a small LSDB but the memory for your routers is fairly cheap and
you probably already have enough to handle an NSSA, unless your
redistributing your BGP routes into your IGP.

Hope this helps..

Josh