[c-nsp] IP packet out of order.

Siva Valliappan svalliap at cisco.com
Fri Jul 23 13:47:09 EDT 2004

are you CEF switching?  if you are not CEF switching, it is technically
possible to get OOP due to the router.  reason is as follows:

first packet builds the fast cache entry, and if the second packet comes
close enough on the heels of the first packet, the second packet
might get switched on the interrupt path before the first packet gets
it's new header and is placed on the transmit interface.

now the above only happens with fast switching.  in the case of CEF,
the forwarding table is built on the routing table, so the first packet
does not need to trigger the construction of the forwarding table.

if you are getting OOP all the time (regardless of wether you are
running CEF or if you are having OOP even with a cache entry built),
then you might want to start investigating what the bridging
device is doing.

cheers
.siva