[c-nsp] 2950 Performance Problem

Joe Goldberg joseph at ezzi.net
Fri Jul 23 18:03:21 EDT 2004

Thanks for you response.  I have checked for errors on both end of the line
and I am not seeing any.  The 6509 is set up as a simple dot1q trunk,
nothing crazy or tricky.  I should mention though that the 6509 has an MSFC2
in it that is doing all the VLAN routing.

As for the pings, when the 2950 gets to its max load (at least in the state
it is now) of 12Mbps I start to drop pings of any size both to the switch
and to servers that hang off the switch.  The servers on the switch drop
pings outbound also.

Following your good idea, I tried putting two servers on the same vlan and
got very good performance between the two on the same switch.  This would
definitely point to an issue in the trunk, but I am still at a loss as to
what that may be.

Here is just a snippet of code so you can see what I am doing on the 2950:

interface FastEthernet0/20
 switchport access vlan 618
 no ip address
!