[c-nsp] 6500 under DDoS

Steve Francis sfrancis at fastclick.com
Tue Jul 27 15:30:56 EDT 2004

They must have done something clever to cause it to behave that badly.
In my tests, I could not get a reasonably configured 6500 to get at all
perturbed under (almost) any DoS I could throw at it (with a Sup
II/MSFC2, but I expect the 720 to be even better). (Exception being the
hole in the ACL that allowed the peer's BGP session. That allows a
slight window of attack, but there are things for that, too...)

I would guess they are doing something that causes CPU routing of the
traffic.
Lots of things do this, like:
- policy based routing using one of the set clauses not done hardware
- MTU rewrites
- IOS server load balancing
- ACLs that exceed the TCAM resources
Etc etc