[c-nsp] 6500 under DDoS

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 17:04:11 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Blaz Zupan wrote:

> What I just now found out is, that they had "ip nbar protocol-discovery"
> configured, which is definitely software switched. They have now turned it off.

yeah, that'll be it then

> We'll see what happens when the next DDoS comes. Does anybody on the list
> have a botnet under their control, so we can perform a test? :-)

for sure, altho theyre not likely to post :)

> Here are their ACLs:

I would personally suggest these are not things you want to be controlling at
your border, but that depends what type of org they are.. the traffic on these
ports is very low and is better done next to the users.

check this page to ensure they're not processing the acl in software:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a00800c9470.shtml

Steve