[c-nsp] Packet memory on VIP4-50

Olav Langeland Olav.Langeland at activeisp.com
Wed Jul 28 08:03:19 EDT 2004

Hi,

according to Cisco documentation for the VIP4-50 the maximum memory is
256MB for CPU memory and 64MB packet memory. Cisco states that packet
memory should *not* be upgraded from 64MB, never ever. I just recently
started poking around our VIP cards, and I noticed one VIP4-50 that we
have bought used has this:
Controller Memory Size: 256 MBytes CPU SDRAM, 128 MBytes Packet SDRAM

The router and VIP card has been solid since it went online. But what is
the consequence of increasing the packet memory? Does the VIP4-50 just
disregard more than 64MB memory or can it cause problems?

/olav