[c-nsp] Strict multihoming supported on a Cisco?

Marcel Lammerse lammerse at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 28 18:51:41 EDT 2004

Hi Steve,

it's a security thing. This outside ip address could be connected to
the Internet. If the routing/security policy states that no traffic
should be allowed between the internal segment and an outside segment
other than via a firewall, it raises questions when people are able to
get a response from an outside interface when they are on the inside.

I'm not sure what exactly the security implications are. Personally, I
don't see how this behavior could be exploited. But it scares customers
and I was wondering whether strict multihoming was an option to change
this behavior.

Even though the requirements specified in the rfc differ between hosts
and routers, I do think a router could (should?) implement this
behavior. Packets addressed to the router itself should be handled
differently than transit packets with regard to forwarding. I don't see
any reason why a host would need to connect to a different physical ip
address on a router (loopback ips are an exception), other than the one
on the directly connected interface.

Marcel