[c-nsp] can't be -- output discards on 6500 gig-e

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Fri Jul 30 10:38:06 EDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Tarko Tikan wrote:
> > 	I use STG.exe, a 1 file application that can snmp poll the interface
> > every 1 second or less, to capture more realtime utilization stats. You'll
> > need to know the OID.
>
> btw, does anyone know such a tool for linux? I did a little search half a year
> ago and couldn't find any. Catch is that it would poll every 10 seconds so I
> can actually see almost-realtime view. Cricket is good for long-term
> monitoring and overview but not for verifying traffic shaper etc.

The "snmpdelta" command in the Net-SNMP package does this.  E.g.:

   snmpdelta -v 2c -c <community> <router...> ifHCInOctets.103 ifHCOutOctets.103

The default polling interval is 1 second, adjustable with the "-Cp" option.
In a quick test, it seems that the 6500+720 only updates the counters every
10 seconds.  (For comparison, a Juniper M20 updates them every 5 seconds.)