[c-nsp] Loss of Telnet Capability - RESOLVED

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Jul 31 21:57:47 EDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Tejal Shah wrote:
>
> > Can anyone explain why people across the world face this issue on that day
> > only ?
> >
> > Is there any bug or attack ?
>
> No, theres just a lot of people in 'the world'. I had a BBQ today.... whats
> that, 10m other folks did too?? amazing! :)

Lots of people have 6509's.  Lots of people had BBQ today.  How many
people had their 6509's and BBQs blow up today?  It wouldn't surprise me
at all if there's some unsual traffic (perhaps a new scanner) that tickles
a bug in the 6509's telnet server.  Too many times I've had cisco
access-servers run for long times and appear stable, and all of a sudden
start crashing all across the network to believe such things are
coincidence.  They're simply defects that hadn't previously surfaced.