[nsp] 100Mb Ethernet Design Rules - Propagation delay

Dan Salekin dan.salekin at terago.ca
Thu Jun 3 17:04:53 EDT 2004

RE: Calculating acceptable propagation delay within a collision domain.

According to one of my references, if I exceed the max propagation delay of 5.12 microseconds or 512 bit times (on 100Mb Ethernet), I'm at risk of experiencing late collisions and/ or CRC errors.

Does this apply to links configured as full duplex?

If it does, can someone explain how the error condition is determined and what is affected?

If it does not apply, what is my design constraint regarding distance in a full duplex configuration?

one reference I'm using is the CCDA study guide.

thanks in advance,
Dan