[nsp] Cisco 1750 loses Ethernet input

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Sat Jun 5 16:37:01 EDT 2004

At 04:09 PM 6/5/2004, you wrote:
>I've got a Cisco 1750 running IOS 12.1(20).  Every now and then
>(the incidents are 1-3 months apart) it suddenly stops receiving
>packets on its FastEthernet0 interface.  "show int faste0" says
>that there is zero input.
>
>In the past, we've done things like reboot it or do a "shut/no shut"
>on the interface in order to recover.  It just happened again today,
>and I tried doing "clear interface FastEthernet0" and that worked
>too!
>
>Is this a known problem with the 1700 series routers?

We have seen this when there is a duplex mismatch. Eventually, the router
just freaks out and stops seeing or sending any traffic. Forcing both sides
to match or making sure both are set to auto will usually fix the problem
permanently.

-R

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey