[nsp] RE: OK I'm Stumped!!!!

James Edwards hackerwacker at cybermesa.com
Mon Jun 7 22:16:44 EDT 2004

Stephen gave you a nice list of things to try. Connect up
via modem and work through ping sizes just before and through
the MTU. (say start 1400 byte pings and work up to 1500). Pick a host
on your network you trust to ping to.

If you are using Ethernet on this 5xxx, check interface error stats
and make sure your switch/hub port and Ethernet interface agree. Best
to set both sides to what you want and not use auto. Your problem
symptoms do make me think MTU issues but I have seen the same thing
with duplex/speed mismatch on Ethernet interfaces.

Is this 5xxx new gear for the users; did you migrate from a different
vendor ? If so, it is a given that a few dial up users will have issues.
They worked fine on the old box but on the new they connect but can't do
some stuff. I have been through vendor changes in dial up gear, a few users
always break on the new vendor.

Provided it is just a few users, a small %, then this points to user modem
driver issues. In general, most users have win modems, often quite out of date.
Since it is a software modem, all of the code to run the modem runs on the computer.
Easy to update, once you identify the modem manufacture. If the users are running
older MS, check for DUN upgrades.

--
James H. Edwards
Routing and Security