[nsp] 5513 RSM Issue

lee.e.rian at census.gov lee.e.rian at census.gov
Tue Jun 8 01:59:15 EDT 2004

The only times I've seen an RSM interface go down/down was if all switch
ports for that vlan were down.
UDLD, port security, late collisions and I don't know what else can cause a
switch port to be shut down.  Is there still at least one switch port on
vlan 1 that is up?

Regards,
Lee

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           "Paul Stewart"        |
|         |           <pauls at nexicom.net>   |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           cisco-nsp-bounces at puck|
|         |           .nether.net           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           06/07/2004 01:37 PM   |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>                                                                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  [nsp] 5513 RSM Issue                                                                                                        |

We're seeing an ongoing issue with a pair of RSM blades in an old 5513
Catalyst.  They won't stay online.

For the past month they have been sitting idle with only Vlan1 traffic
passing to them.  We had OSPF drop out on another piece of equipment late
last week (a SMS500 Redback).  When this happened, both RSM cards went
down/down on Vlan1.

Vlan0 is always up/up with a 127.0.0.x address.

Tried resetting the cards, software and power cycled them etc.  No luck...

Looking for any insight as to why this is happening... We've had this issue
keep coming back now time after time.... To the point where we don't dare
put any customers on these cards as it'll just be a matter of time before
they kick out.

In the past we've had to reboot the entire switch and then "sometimes" the
cards come back up....  Could it be a config issue in the CatOS side?

Thanks,

Paul Stewart