[nsp] Colo design question

Marco Matarazzo marmata at libero.it
Tue Jun 8 04:36:45 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I work in a colo provider, right now we're using 40Mbits from two upstreams.
Each of them is connect to a separate Cisco 7206VXR with NPE-300. I then
distribute the various customer vlans (60 in this moment) with a trunk to a
set of Cisco 2950s.
This is what I found when hired. Now I was thinking... could I have any
benefits replacing the 2950s with 3550? Will the offload of vlan tagging,
intervlan routing, rate limiting and HSRP be substantial, or will the NPE300
cope with it well? Now I'm running at 20% average processor time, with
30/35% peak, but I expect to double the used bandwidth in next month or so.

Thanks!
]\/[arco