[nsp] "ignore" on PA-FE-TX, 12.2(18)S4

lee.e.rian at census.gov lee.e.rian at census.gov
Mon Jun 14 16:07:20 EDT 2004

Hi Gert,

It would be much nicer if somebody that actually knew what they were
talking about responded... but I haven't seen any replies yet so here goes

My impression is that ignores are caused by an output interface queue being
full.
The only link I could find was for "Troubleshooting "Ignored" Errors on an
ATM Port Adapter"
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/121/ignorederrors_6143.html

I don't know if "ignored" counts as an input error or not, but it looks
like SPD drops [input q flushes] are a bigger problem than errors/ignored
on that interface.

Regards,
Lee

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Gert Doering          |
|         |           <gert at greenie.muc.de> |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           cisco-nsp-bounces at puck|
|         |           .nether.net           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           06/14/2004 08:15 AM   |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net                                                                                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  [nsp] "ignore" on PA-FE-TX, 12.2(18)S4                                                                                      |

Hi,

can someone please point me to a piece of documentation that can explain
the following:

Cisco-M>sh int fa3/0
FastEthernet3/0 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is DEC21140, address is 0005.9a16.6054 (bia 0005.9a16.6054)
  Input queue: 2/500/0/107283 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:
0
     0 runts, 0 giants, 8 throttles
     21909 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 21368 ignored
     0 watchdog

why does it have "input errors / ignored"?

The interface is running at about 40 Mbit/s. peak traffic ("5 minute
average" values), and the router isn't dropping packets on "ping"
(nor demonstrating any other noticeable problems).

So I'm a bit confused why it's increasing the error counters, and whether
I should worry about it...

thanks,

gert

//www.muc.de/~gert/