[nsp] "ignore" on PA-FE-TX, 12.2(18)S4

Scott Madley madley at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 15 12:56:21 EDT 2004

On a 7200 'ignores' are caused when IOS can't replenish the rx ring's
particle buffers (private/public).  You'll also see 'throttles' when this
happens.  I don't know if the 'ignore' counter gets incremented when IOS
can't coalesce  a contigious buffer for a packet that needs to be process
switched (although it will increment the 'throttle counter').

SPD will only help in insuring that packets set to IP-Prec 6/7 (OSPF,
HDLC/PPP Keepalives, etc) get placed in the priority queue to be processed
by the RP.  Assuming that your 'ignored' counter increments are caused by
OSPF/BGP flaptastic fun, SPD will help.

I don't think it's a problem with SPD queue sizes, rather just bursty
traffic.  Here's to hoping that increasing your input buffer helps you!

Cheers!
-SM