[nsp] low-end L3 switch

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jun 16 04:12:26 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 09:34:21AM +0200, Lajber Zoltan wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 03:29:38PM -0400, Ralph Doncaster wrote:
> > > Is the 2948G-L3 the bottom of the line for a cisco L3 switch that can do
> > > BGP?
> >
> > The 2948G-L3 is the definite bottom line of anything.
> don't agree with that. Nice small box, just is it in suitable role.

So what is its "suitable role"?  Paperweight?

Don't confuse the 2948G (which is a decent L2 switch) with the 2948G-L3
(which is neither a usable L2 switch, nor anything useful on L3).

We had *so* much trouble with the 2948G-L3, it's absolutely inbelievable.

The most grave issues are "regular complete lockup of the port ASICs"
(meaning "no packets go in and out anymore", production network dead, not
fixed even though a case was open for over a year) and "if the L3 ACLs on
the GigE ports exceed a given length, they are silently (!!) deactivated,
leaving the network wide open".

The unit was hardware-RMAed twice, so it's not a hardware fault.

The box's design is fundamentally broken - there is a good reason why the
8500 series were discontinued pretty quickly.  The 2948G-L3 is just a
fixed-config 8500.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de