Antwort: [nsp] Network Firewall

Hans-Peter Walter HAWA Hans-Peter.Walter at de.tds-global.com
Wed Jun 16 12:02:08 EDT 2004

Hi Lawrence,
you always use NAT on the pix, until you turn it off what is not
recommended.
This command uses the PIX for the spoofing process to know which networks
are behind which interface.
You could turn it off if you have only the "connected" network in a DMZ.

static (inside,dmz) 10.20.30.0 10.20.30.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 100 50 <==
no really NAT happens

The last 2 parameters are for DoS-attacks, right. The PIX answers the
3-way-handshake to
check whether a FIN is send or not.

I made same bad experiences with the PIX Device Manager, so I don't like
that tool yet, but Cisco gets better....
Checkpoint is much better with his Smart Dashboard and so on.
Small PIX'es are much cheaper than Checkpoint and Secure Plattform, and
the service contracts
are about 15% from the Checkpoint service contracts!!
It depends on how many interfaces you need and  what you want to do (VPN,
SmartDefense (a small IDS ;-)) )).

Have fun,
HP

Lawrence Wong <lawrencewong72 at yahoo.com>