[nsp] ipv6 address ::X/128 on Cisco router

Yinglam Cheung ccie6961 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 15:11:17 EDT 2004

Hi,

it seems that I cannot use any /128 ipv6 address on Cat6509. it's understood
that :: and ::1 are reserved, but I'm not sure the others in /128. The
cat6509 is running s720 with 12.2(17d)SXB.

s720(config-if)#int lo0
s720(config-if)#ipv addr ::7/128
% Invalid address

however, I can assign ::5/128 to a juniper router and actually I advertise
this route to Cat6509:
s720#sh ipv ro ospf
IPv6 Routing Table - 10 entries
Codes: C - Connected, L - Local, S - Static, R - RIP, B - BGP
       I1 - ISIS L1, I2 - ISIS L2, IA - ISIS interarea, IS - ISIS summary
       O - OSPF intra, OI - OSPF inter, OE1 - OSPF ext 1, OE2 - OSPF ext 2
O   ::5/128 [110/1]
     via FE80::290:69FF:FE98:3001, FastEthernet2/3
s720# ping ipv ::5
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to ::5, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/4 ms

Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this transmission
is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject to protection
under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability
Act (HIPAA).  The message is intended for the sole use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is
strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalties.  If
you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender
immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from any
computer.