[nsp] RFC 3069

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Tue Jun 22 22:34:50 EDT 2004

On 22/06/2004 4:43 PM, Levent Ogut (posts) wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Does Cisco has any switches that supports RFC 3069,
>
>We need to redesign our data center and would like need that feature,
>I see that Extreme switches has that feature but I am looking mostly Cisco.
>
>Cisco has a private-vlan concept but not sure about that,

Private VLANs on the Cat6500/etc are the same kind of thing (don't know
if it's interoperate with the Extreme, but it is the same concept).

Note: If you're using multiple MSFCs to terminate the routing for your
single 'parent' VLAN (the one which has Layer 3 addressing), you'll need
to configure static ARP entries (or use recent MSFC software that does
this for you) if you are using 'ip local proxy-arp' (which is the only
way you can get things in the same subnet to talk to each other, since
they're in different broadcast domains).  Without static ARP entries,
the routers get into a race condition for local proxy ARP'ing, and this
can (and will) cause you grief at some point.

Unless you really have a big address shortage problem or you're certain
it's the right fit, I wouldn't recommend private VLAN colo design.

-afort