[nsp] ip mcast ttl-threshold and PIM Register packets

Matti Saarinen mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Jun 24 03:39:32 EDT 2004

In short:

Do Cisco routers send multicast packets in PIM Register messages
toward RP when there is ip multicast ttl-threshold configured on the
interface pointing towards RP and the multicast packets have lower
TTL. The routers use PIM-SM.

Let's assume I have a router which has interfaces X, Y and Z. RP can
be reached via interface Z and I want to route some local multicast
between interfaces X and Y but I don't want the multicast traffic to
go out via interface Z. So, I set the TTL of the packets of the local
multicast traffic say 4, and I set on the interface Z ip multicast
ttl-threshold 10. Now, when the router receives the first pakcet of
the local multicast traffic does it encapsulate it in PIM Register
packet and send it towards RP dispite the ttl-threshold or not?

I hope I was able to explain my problem clearly enough.

Cheers,

--
- Matti -