[nsp] E1 (G703-X21-V35) interfaces

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 18:40:01 EDT 2004

Hi Vandy,

> In Australia, you have a choice to receive BNC or RJ45 from your
> provider.

ok this is just terminology, my previous response was correct.. bnc and rj45 are
the connectors that go on the wire which would be coaxial or cat5

> My voice provider asked if I wanted "75 Ohm BNC, 120 Ohm RJ45?"

right, and you want rj45 to plug into the vwic. but its the same thing
transmitted on both, you just need a convertor - either a balun or cable.

> G703 is used to get an unstructured (unframed) E1 which will bump the
> throughput to 2048Kbits/s (using all 32 64K TDM Channels).

g703 means 2048Kbps, but no channels. g704 is framing that goes on top of the
g703.. it provides a timing mark that fills up 64k of the 2048k leaving you
1984k which you can allocate up. for voice that means 31x64k channels. if you
run ISDN on that then one channel (15) is used for signalling leaving 30
channels for your voice. note that non-isdn voice circuits tend to keep the
channel 15 empty so still use 30 channels

> X21 and V35 connections are available IF you want the provider to
> provide the DSU and hand off to the CPE (you) a serial connection (x21
> or v35).
>
> This is used for fractional E1's because the provider can timeslice the
> TDM and hand you 1024Kb, so I was told.

right.. but in which case its a whole 1024k you get (not chopped up into 16x64k)
and you cant run TDM voice over it. i was under the impression you are asking
for a voice circuit (isdn?) not a data circuit?

if you want a data circuit then just purchase an x21 card (wic-1t) but this
doesnt support voice, channelisation or add-drop etc

> Cisco does sell a BNC to RJ45 converter.  Forget that.  I just need to
> have the RJ45/48 handoff specified in the order.

Yup..

Steve