[nsp] Balancing traffic with unequal AS paths

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Mar 2 10:57:28 EST 2004

AS path prepending is a moderate stick, less brutal than local
preference or weight, but nonetheless still a bit aggressive in some
situations.

I would begin by researching the list of common AS between A and C.  For
those AS paths, I would prepend "A A" or "A A A" on routes learned from
A to make them less preferable.  Likewise, assuming you want to do the
relatively same thing on inbound traffic, I'd prepend "U U" or "U U U"
on your announcements to A.  ("U" means YOU in this case.  :)

After this is done, you get the joy of balancing the ASes that are not
common to A and C.  I'd recommend starting with one prepend initially on
whichever side you want to decrease your traffic, and see how that works.