[nsp] Rate Limiting?

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Fri Mar 5 01:23:51 EST 2004

On 5/03/2004 4:28 PM, Craig Spiers wrote:

>Hi Everyone..
>
>We have several customers in which we deliver bandwidth over ethernet to..
>All of these customers are connected to a Cisco Catalyst 3550-EMI doing
>layer 3 on all ports..
>
>Has anyone been able to succesfully get a 3550 to do rate limiting? What do
>other cisco based networks use for rate limiting? I'd prefer to keep the
>rate limiting away from our boarder router if possible..
>
>Anyone got some recommendations on reasonably priced traffic management /
>rate limiting hardware?

Yes, you can do it with the 3550, and the results are reasonable for
providing subrate ethernet services.

There are some limitations due to the hardware implementation, and I
wouldn't describe it as 'straight-forward' to configure (you effectively
need to classify "IP" and "all other" traffic seperately in your
policy), but it can be done.  In some cases it would be nicer to have
larger input queues available to deal with some types of traffic more
reasonably.

-afort