[nsp] sup720-3bxl experiences?

Junichi Shimagami simagami at iij.ad.jp
Fri Mar 5 18:30:02 EST 2004

> >  Anyone have anything good/bad to say about Sup720-3BXL that I can't
> > read from CCO? I have hard time figuring out why would anyone without
> > existing hardware shop GSR as their new Ethernet platform when
Sup720-3BXL
> > has multiple times cheaper port pricing.
>
> Note that this only applies to your basic "switch" type cards. As soon
> as you want POS or similar (OSMs), you're in the same price range as GSR.

Correct.

> Also note that the "switch" type cards may not have enough buffering if
> you want to use them for WAN traffic.

Do we really need the buffering capability, which GSR linecards or OSMs has
and Catalyst's switch card doesn't, in ISP backbone?

Say, if the WAN link is a T1 and LAN is FastEthernet, we definitely need
buffering capability in the WAN infterface.  But is this story still valid
if we use 10GE switch card for ISP backbone links?

I'm wondering how much buffering we need in ISP backbone environment and if
the investment for GSRs or OSMs can be justified...

-simagami