[nsp] MPLS advice

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Mon Mar 15 04:40:29 EST 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> This may not be a little off topic, if so, my apologies.
>
> I'm looking for opinions / caveats and general thoughts on replacing
> our WAN with a MPLS solution .

[snippage]

> Comments from anyone?  Concerns or issues that I should be aware of?

One thing I'd look at is your current routing protocol, and what AT&T offer as part of their MPLS product.

Some routing protocols (BGP, RIP) play nicer with MPLS than others (OSPF, EIGRP), and what you're using may have a lot of impact on how much you have to change your router config.  Also depends on your network topology - if all you need are the prefixes in the right places, it's much easier than if you're relying on having specific metrics make it through unscathed or routes remaining 'internal' end-to-end (redist your-RP -> MP-BGP -> your-RP will kill this).

Regards,
Tim.

--
Tim Franklin          ____________
Project Engineer      \C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering &