[nsp] PIX 506e Question

Chris Roberts croberts at bongle.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 06:40:37 EST 2004

Ryan O'Connell wrote:

> Without wanting to start a Jihad, I don't think IPv6 support is high
> up on many people's agendas right now. Outside of a few people
> fiddling with IPv6 support on IRC servers and the like, it's not
> widely deployed in anyone's backbone that I know of and we're not
> going to run out of IPv4 address space for a very long time yet.

We already have a Europe-wide IPv6 backbone deployed. We're waiting on
access layer kit that support it with any stability. It has crept into
tender documents from quite a few people now that some awareness of IPv6 is
required, although it has not yet become a requirement.

Once IPv6 support is more stable at the edge, deploying IPv6 to end-users
and early adopters is going to become more seriously possible (tunnels suck,
mmmkay), and that's when the content will start to ramp up and at this point
IPv6 will start to gain speed.

Since a good proportion of places still require/use Cisco at the access
layer, this has been a big stumbling block historically.

Cheers,
Chris.