[nsp] 12.2S on 7500: media-type mii no longer supported?

Matti Saarinen mjs at cc.tut.fi
Tue Mar 16 10:18:53 EST 2004

Today, I made some experiments on humans and upgraded a 7513 to
12.2(18)S3. Everything else went fine but one fast ethernet interface
stopped delivering packets. According to the "sh int" command, the
interface was up. Also, the route to the netblock connected to the
interface was in the routing table. To the interface's MII connector
was attached a MII-fibre tranciever. To the tranciever was connected a
pair of fibres which were connected to a switch.

First I tried "debug ip packet". From the debug logs I saw messages
like "encapsulation failed". I tried to search with the bug navigator
if there were any ISL bugs but found none.

Then, I wondered some time what might be wrong until I realised: the
leds on the FE interface showed that the media type used was RJ45
instead of MII. The strange thing: there was no RJ45 cable connected
to the connector, only the MII-fibre tranciever. I tried to
reconfigure the router to use media type MII, but the command wasn't
there:

rtr(config)#int fas3/1
rtr(config-if)#me?
% Unrecognized command

So questions:

Is is so that media-type MII and the MII connectors are no longer
supported?

Why the router thought that the link was up even though there was no
RJ45 cable connected to the interface?

Cheers,

--
- Matti -