[nsp] PIX 506e Question

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 16 13:50:21 EST 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:40:45AM +0000, Ryan O'Connell wrote:
> >Yep.  This can be a major pain.
> >
> >Don't expect any major differences here if you go with Cisco gear.
> >
> >"No IPv6 for Cisco 4500/4700 routers, or Catalyst 5000 RSM/RSFC.  You
> >want to buy a new box anyway, don't you know that?!".
>
> Without wanting to start a Jihad, I don't think IPv6 support is high up
> on many people's agendas right now.

It might not be, but it's something to consider when doing equipment
purchases.  "The magic bullet" might not even be IPv6, but a vendor's
track record when it comes to "support new technologies on oldish
platforms" is something to consider.

The people that make decisions inside Cisco, like "no 12.2T on C5RSM"
are good for Cisco's stock market (read: "sell more boxes") but *hurt*
customer satisfaction.

> Outside of a few people fiddling
> with IPv6 support on IRC servers and the like, it's not widely deployed
> in anyone's backbone that I know of and we're not going to run out of
> IPv4 address space for a very long time yet.

Well, you're in for a few surprises :-)

Our backbone (5539) runs IPv6 natively in parallel to IPv4, we offer it
as production service to leased line and ADSL customers, and there is
actually (some) customer demand for it.

We're just a small shop, but there are other, much larger networks in
Europe and especially in the APNIC region that offer commercial-grade
IPv6 as of *today*.

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * ICE 693 MAN -> MUC *