[nsp] VLAN database propagation

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Mar 19 03:02:50 EST 2004

> > Overall I *do* like VTP, because it's so convenient, but you need to make
> > sure that the number of people that connect and configure new VTP members
> > is small, and that all those people know what they are doing.
>
> Agreed. Personally I have not experienced any such problems in the
> past years..

We have experienced lots of problems with VTP, even in recent years.
Not with misconfigured switches "taking over" as VTP masters, but with
misbehavior on the VTP masters themselves. This, and the fact that VTP
forces you to have the same VLANs available everywhere, means that VTP
is right out - it's simply not considered as a usable tool.

We run all switches in VTP transparent mode, and use "allowed vlan" on
all trunks. This has dramatically reduced our VLAN problems.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no