[nsp] PA-MC-T3 and 7206 non-VXR

Adam Maloney adamm at sihope.com
Fri Mar 19 11:11:44 EST 2004

I have a customer that is buying a 7206 (non-VXR) with an NPE-200 and
wants an MC-T3 in it.

His cisco reseller says that the card only works in VXR chassis that
have an NPE-300 or better.  The reseller says they've talked to a few
different "experts" and they are all confirming that this card won't
work with that chassis.

My reseller says it will work, and this page:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_module_installation_guide_chapter09186a00801125e5.html

Seems to be saying it will work as well (relevant text quoted below).

Is anyone actually using one of these in a non-VXR chassis and can
confirm that it does indeed work?  I appreciate any insight or
experience that anyone has.

In the Cisco 7200 series routers and the uBR7200 series universal
broadband routers, the PA-MC-T3 and network processor memory
configurations include the following:
      * NPE-150 (150-MHz network processor)—1 MB of SRAM and up to 128
        MB of DRAM
      * NPE-200 (200-MHz network processor)—4 MB of SRAM and up to 128
        MB of DRAM

  * In the Cisco 7204VXR and Cisco 7206VXR routers, the PA-MC-T3and
    network processor memory configuration require the NPE-300 (262-MHz
    network processor)—64 MB to 256 MB of synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)