[nsp] conditional BGP config - help

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 14:32:31 EST 2004

matthew zeier wrote:

>One of my backup transit providers in turn buys transit from Aleron.  I'm
>trying to keep all traffic away from Aleron, however, certain broadband
>providers (Cox) appear to also get transit from Aleron.  Occassionally,
>Aleron appears to prefer my extra 10 AS prepends over my other upstream
>providers.

Ten prepends is bad, some people filter on maximum AS path length and
this will almost certainly fall foul of this.

>Somehow I need to make them stop doing that.

There's probably a BGP community you can send to tweak the localpref at
their end and fix this - at a guess Aleron are preferring customer
routes over peering routes, which is quite normal.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time