[nsp] single-col, multi-col, 6509

Church, Chuck cchurch at wamnetgov.com
Mon Mar 22 15:26:41 EST 2004

Compare the number of single collisions to the total number of packets output.  If you're getting more than 1 collision per 100 packets output, it's probably overloaded.  Like the others mentioned, check for any duplex mismatches, or FCS errors on either side.  If it's not misconfigured, and the rate is exceeding 1% (1% is a ballpark figure, nothing cast in stone), might be time to upgrade the speed, change to full duplex on that link, or both.  Once it is full duplex, keep an eye on deferrals and drops, as they're both still possible and a sign of link overload.

Chuck Church
Lead Design Engineer
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE
Wam!Net Government Services - Design & Implementation Team
13665 Dulles Technology Dr. Ste 250
Herndon, VA 20171
Office: 703-480-2569
Cell: 703-819-3495