[nsp] single-col, multi-col, 6509

Church, Chuck cchurch at wamnetgov.com
Mon Mar 22 18:33:58 EST 2004

There is a close relationship between collision rate and link utilization in half duplex ethernet.  The Cisco design guides I've seen in the past mention 0.1% as the threshold for increasing speed or moving to full duplex.  Personally, I think that 0.1% rule is a little overkill, so I've gone with 1%.  If you've got 20% collisions, you're forced to resend 1 out of every 5 frames.  You'll certainly be seeing multiple and excessive collisions at that rate, leading to retransmits at layer 3/4, which leads to yet more traffic.  20 to 50% is WAY too much traffic for a half duplex segment, especially if there are more than 2 devices on that collision domain.

Chuck Church
Lead Design Engineer
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE
Wam!Net Government Services - Design & Implementation Team
13665 Dulles Technology Dr. Ste 250
Herndon, VA 20171
Office: 703-480-2569
Cell: 703-819-3495