[nsp] dot1q subints on 6500/sup720

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Mar 30 14:57:00 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:42:41PM +0100, Simon Lockhart wrote:
> On Tue Mar 30, 2004 at 02:20:35PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > 	you can't do subints on the 6k, they don't do what
> > they do on other platforms (gsr, 7500, 7200).
>
> ...but you can with the GE-WAN blade? I presume I can create dot1q subints

	I believe so, but we don't have any of these so i can't
speak from personal experience.

> on a ge-wan interface, and the vlan ids aren't seen in the L2 space on the
> 6500 at all? We're trying to avoid buying any of the OSM blades, because of
> cost, at the moment, but may need to plan for them in the future if it's
> the only way to do dot1q subints ona 6k like we can on the 7200/gsr.

	the issue is when you use the word "like".  You can do "like"
as long as you don't have vlan number colissions that can't be solved
with remapping.

> > 	I thought cisco removed the ability to
> > configure subints on the 6k due to this.  You want to use
> > that as a l2 switch port and then terminate things on
> > the "interface vlan4090" interface within the 6k.
>
> Yes.
>
> > 	you should also check your (internal) vlan mappings
> > that are assigned by your l3 ports on the 6k/7600 by
> > "sh vlan internal mapping" command.
>
> Are there any gotchas to watch out for the the internal vlans? We'll be
> using this box as almost exclusively L3.

	If you get a vlan numbered in that space on a L2 trunk you could
clearly see some issues if you allow incoming vlans that overlap.

	We were warned of it, and have not had any experience with
overlapping vlan numbers.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net