[nsp] Catalyst 6500 Hybrid

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat May 1 15:01:17 EDT 2004

> Depending on your actual needs, the Sup2/MSFC2 can handle about two full
> BGP feeds...you may have to consider Sup720 or another router.

I disagree. At my previous employer we had several 6509s with 256 MB
Sup2/512 MB MSFC2 and had no problem with considerably more than 2 full
feeds. We had plenty of free memory on the MSFC2 with 512 MB (but 256 MB
would have been insufficient). The 6509s with Sup2/MSFC2 worked well for
us as border routers, and handled DoS attacks very well.

Now if you need full routing tables *and* uRPF, the Sup2/MSFC2 is out of
the question - and you may want to consider Sup720.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no