[nsp] Serious bug in 12.1(20)EA1a 3550 EMI code

Mark Boolootian booloo at ucsc.edu
Sat May 1 15:49:09 EDT 2004

Yuval,

> not sure how related it is but I have open bug CSCee13768 for Tacacs
> connections stuck in CLOSEWAIT state.
> this is a problem I think started at 12.1(19)EA1

Wish I'd seen this sooner.  We just got hit again, only this time it
was on 12.1(19)EA1.  I'll be taking a look at the DDTS shortly.

> As far as I noticed if you are using tacacs authentication and SSH to
> the box,

We are indeed.  It's odd that we never saw this problem until after
the upgrade to 12.1(20)EA1a, except for just now.

> everytime you SSH to it it leaves another connection in
> CLOSEWAIT until the TCP stack is filled and then all the symtoms you
> mentioned appear (packet loss, hard to connect to the box, etc .....)
> you can easily see if that's the case using "show tcp brief"

I imagine I'll get another chance to verify this.  Thanks very much for
the post.