[nsp] Re: Catalyst 6500 Hybrid

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun May 2 10:19:50 EDT 2004

> > Other vendors are indeed listening - the price point for the Juniper M7i
> > is *very* interesting for people looking at new 7206VXR boxes.
>
> If price is an issue, the 7304 with NSE-100 is probably a better bet.
>
> If Juniper had indeed supplied dual gige on the motherboard of the M7i and
> included that in the price, it would have been quite interesting, but the
> price of a M7i+Gige PIC compared to the 7304, the M7i just doesnt look
> that interesting anymore.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. We have both Cisco and
Juniper routers. The 7304 wasn't considered for our buildout this year
at all - it was simply "another incompatible Cisco architecture".

(To be fair, the 7304 is somewhat compatible with 7200/7500 now that the
PA carrier card exists - but there is still the overwhelming impression
that Cisco has umpteen incompatible product lines that they are trying
to sell as Cisco 7x00 series routers.)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no