[nsp] Re: Catalyst 6500 Hybrid

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun May 2 16:05:27 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004 sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> I don't see how the Sup720 is more of a "real" router than Sup2, with
> the possible exception of the TCAM size (enabling uRPF with current
> Internet routing tables). The Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 still do longest prefix
> match like any other router.

Yeah, I'm not much into the 6500 specifics.

> Interesting that you should mention buffer sizes. On the end2end-interest
> there is now an argument going, part of which is that you probably do
> *not* want as deep buffers today as you previously did. However, 80ms
> would still be nice to have!

Most people run WRED etc anyway, you never want 600ms latency even on a
full link. Running single TCP sessions require this, but in effect if
you're running thousands of sessions over a full 10GE, running WRED or
having small buffers to begin with, makes marginal difference, you get the
same effect anyway-

> Agreed that 12000 and Junipers are expensive - the basic impression is
> that any kind of equipment that can handle hardware based forwarding
> for non-Ethernet media is outrageously expensive. I don't see this
> changing any time soon :-(

The worst part is that the per megabit price on ports hasnt gone down on
these platforms for 5 years (or only marginally so).

A STM64 port is almost exactly 4 times the price of STM16 and has been
like that for a long while.

If you need distributed forwarding with subsecond route table switches,
deep buffers and all that, go GSR or Juniper, I hope you're able to charge
your customers for the premium service you're offering them. For internet,
it being "best effort" and all, I dont see customers wanting to pay extra
for this.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se