[nsp] Re: Catalyst 6500 Hybrid

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Mon May 3 04:41:44 EDT 2004

* swmike at swm.pp.se (Mikael Abrahamsson) [Sun 02 May 2004, 20:44 CEST]:
> A couple of years ago the argument was pretty easy to do, the switches
> just didn't do proper routing. With the Sup720, Extremes BD10k, Foundry
> has something (I dont know about them) that'll do real routing. They still
> lack deep packet buffers.

You probably were thinking of the new Foundry MG8 there?

Force-10 have a crossbar switch with pretty deep packet buffers too.

[..]
> I like the 12000 and Junipers, these are real routers and they're
> appropriate core tools, but THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE. I'd rather build two
> cores and know I'd never overload it, than to build a single core that'll
> handle occasional overload properly.

Long-haul fiber is not that cheap for everybody, but I agree that adding
capacity is a better idea than buffering and hoping for a lull in
traffic in a short while.

> Now someone will make the argument that 10GE is not WAN/core. My answer to
> this is that newer DWDM systems have 10GE tribs, and WAN PHY (OC192
> compatible Xenpaks for 10GE) will enable 10GE for the WAN as well.

Why would 10GE not be WAN/core?  Link speeds are supposed to go up when
nearer to the core, aren't they?

	-- Niels.