[nsp] Question 6509 routing ATM via OC12 card

Michael Cavanagh mcavanagh at zhone.com
Tue May 4 18:53:53 EDT 2004

We have a 6509 with:
    Sup1A-MSFC card for the switch routing brain.
    WS-6408A-GBIC -- 8 Port GBIC
    WS-6101-OC12-MMF -- OC12 ATM w/ Multimode

We want use the routing blade to route igmp packets, multicast packets
between the Gig Fiber ports and the OC12 ATM.
The ATM will have various PVCs setup and the Gig Fibers will have VLANs
setup.  So, we need to map PVCs to the VLANs
We need igmp join commands from clients beyond the Gig Fibers to be
routed to a server behind the OC12 and the multicast packets from the
server to be routed to the appropriate Gig Fiber port.

We do this today using a 3640 with OC3 and Fast Ethernet cards.

Does anyone know if the 6509 with the above cards will handle this task?
Is there a certain code level we need to run (I know the OC12 card has
IOS 12.1.22E1)?
Can the 6509 hae CAT OS and the router have IOS or should I switch it to
all IOS?

Thanks for any advice.
Mike Cavanagh