[nsp] multicast questions

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat May 8 04:56:50 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 06:17:42PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Anyone have good pointers to Windows + Multicast?  I understand the basics
> here, but I'm completely lost on the windows side.

Basically, Windows should do "the right things" automatic - that is, if
a multicast app starts up, Windows will send IGMP joins, and the router
will pick that up and build a (*,G) / (S,G) tree towards the end host.

The Cisco Press multicast book (don't have the title at hand) is *very*
much recommended, because it explains all the nitty gritty details that
you'll need to actually debug why it's not working.

> It certainly looks like there's not much more on the Cisco than putting
> "ip pim sparse-dense-mode" on each interface.  I don't *think* I need an
> RP, but that doesn't look too tough to setup either.

For sparse-mode PIM (which is what you want if do you inter-domain
multicast), you need a RP.  But that's also trivial to set up.

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * back at home *